Wednesday, August 04, 2010

A Little Big News: I'm Moving (Again!)

As promised, now that the tour's wrapped and I've got a little layoff, I wanted to share some good news with you.

I'm moving!  Yep, again.

In June, I moved out of my apartment in NYC and in the next month I'll move back to my hometown of Memphis, TN!  I'm excited, anxious, slightly nostalgic, and a little sweaty.  

Now...why?  And what does this mean?

Why:
1) First, I've loved my time in New York.  It's an amazing place, and moving there was an important step.  I developed crucial new business relationships and came to know tons of talented artists.  Also, the city itself greatly impacted my songwriting.  So much so that...

2) I have a lot of new songs.  Like, a metric buttload of new songs that I can't wait to share with you.  Also...

3) Performing has become a different thing to me.  I used to enjoy it, but now I want to do it all the time; it used to be fun, but now it's vital.  So...

4) The question became: what's the best way to be the best possible artist I can, and share as much music with you as possible?  How can I afford to get back in the studio, keep making new albums, and keep touring at the rate I want? 

At that point, I realized that New York wasn't the best long-term HQ for me.  I couldn't afford to stay there while making new albums and touring at a high rate; some young artists can afford that, but I can't.  As much as I've personally enjoyed New York, moving is the right call. 

What It Means:
Professionally, this move will allow me to be a better artist.  My number one priority is sharing as much music with you as possible, both with new albums and steady touring.  Having a less expensive homebase allows me to get in the studio soon, and to hit the road regularly.  I'm already booking my fall tour and planning the next record.  In the next year, I look forward to releasing at least one new album and touring the entire country (and beyond!).  All of that's already in the works, and all it's possible because of my new (old) home. 

Personally, I cannot wait to be closer to my family, my good friends, my favorite places, and some of the best local music in the country.  Of course, I've loved my time in NY, will miss it, and will look forward to frequent shows there in the future.  But I'm very excited to start this next chapter, and to have such an amazing homebase in Memphis.

I'm sure I'll have plenty to say later about New York--what it meant to live there, what I'll miss about it, etc.  I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about my new life in Memphis, why it's always been home, and what it means to be a part of that music community, etc.

For now, I'm too tired, excited, anxious, and a little too sweaty to put anything into perspective.  I can't wait to get settled into my new (old) home.  And I can't wait to see my last one again.

Hold on, I'm coming
CM

No comments:

Post a Comment